Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Easter Memories

I have so many wonderful memories of Easter when I was a child. I don't remember if we did all of these every year but I'm sure there were years we did.



We would go to church on Easter Sunday, sometimes we went to Sunday School and then went home. When I was a small child we would go to Mama Kelley's house (my father's mother). We would have a Huge lunch ham, beans, corn, bread etc. The three older kids would hide the eggs and the four younger kids would hunt. I was one of the four younger kids.It was always so much fun!



We would go home and spend some time with my Granny and Pa Pa (my mother's parents). They lived next door. I think my Great Grandmother and Great Aunt Christian always came over on Easter Sunday afternoon. They always brought me and my brother a chocolate Easter Bunny. Since it would be just the two of us, my Mom or Dad would hide the eggs and we would hunt. I don't remember ever going to a big Easter Egg Hunt at church, maybe they didn't have them.

Grandma and Aunt Christian came over most Sunday afternoon's when the weather was nice.
I remember looking for them to come. Finally we would see Aunt Christian's Plymouth coming up the road. It seemed to take forever for it to get to the house. Mostly because Aunt Christian always drove SLOW! She never got in a hurry doing anything. I would always hate it when my brother would tease me and say I was as slow as Aunt Christian. I realized after I was grown there is nothing wrong with taking your time and trying to do a good job. I do try not to drive like her though, you at least have to do the speed limit now a days or get Run Over!

3 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Ah ---Easter memories, Harriet... I remember getting up early in the morning and finding my Easter basket (filled with egss, candy, big choc. bunny,etc.)...

We'd always to go church also--and I remember having a NEW Easter dress to wear. Back then we also wore hats (Easter bonnets) and even white gloves. GADS!!!!

We'd have a big dinner with family after church --and then hide and hunt eggs all afternoon. Back then, we had REAL eggs ---and one year, one got lost... A few weeks later, we could smell that nasty egg... Not Good!!!! ha

Thanks for the memories.
Hugs,
Betsy

Greta Koehl said...

Reading about your traditional Easter lunch brought back memories of ours: the same things! - ham, beans, and cornbread. Thanks for sharing your memories.

Harriet said...

I didn't even think about the new Easter dress. My mother always made my dress when I was little. She loved to sew! I can sew but just don't like it.
It is so much fun to remember those big family dinners.