Saturday, October 2, 2010

Have Modern Advancements in Medicine Changed Your Family History?

The October 2010 issue of the Diabetes Forecast magazine published by the American Diabetes Association has one page of information and pictures on the exhibit  "Breakthrough: The Dramatic Story of the Discovery of Insulin". The exhibit is at the NY Historical Society, Oct. 5- Jan. 31, 2011 in Manhattan. Since I'm a long way from Manhattan, I won't be going to see the exhibit. There is also a book by the same name which I do plan on getting.

I have a dear interest in Diabetes since both my children have type 1 diabetes. My daughter was diagnosed at 26 months and has now had diabetes for 17 plus years. My son was diagnosed at 8 years and has had diabetes for almost 9 years.


Have Modern Advancements in Medicine Changed Your Family History? I have not found any other cases of diabetes in my family or my husband's family. We both have cases of type 2 diabetes but no type 1 diabetes. Insulin was discovered in 1921 and before that children diagnosed did not live very long. I have wondered since my daughter was diagnosed if there were cases of type 1 diabetes which went undiagnosed or misdiagnosed and the children died. Looking at our family trees there were several children who died at a young age. They didn't live in the city and you wonder when was  a doctor called to check on the child.  Maybe someday I'll find death certificates which will show the link to diabetes before my children.

I'm sure the modern advancements in the treatment of diabetes will affect future generations in our family. Both children are now on the insulin pump which gives much better control and better health.

2 comments:

PalmsRV said...

You have posed an interesting question.

Cathy

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Interesting, Harriet.... I'll bet there were cases of Type I Diabetes somewhere in your family ---but like you said, children back then didn't live long if they had serious diseases. And nobody had even heard of Diabetes back then...

Diabetes Type II is in my family ... Both of my Dad's brothers had it --and I have to watch my sugar constantly...

Hugs,
Betsy