Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Ida Thurman Davis Update on Research

I received some photos from my Aunt's estate, she had old family photos which were of her Mother's family,the Newby family. Some had names which I knew and other photos were a mystery. Here you can read about my discoveries on one such group of photos. Ida Thurman Davis would have been the grand daughter of Lydia W. Newby. Looks like she sent photos of her family to her grandmother. I am working of finding some of Ida's descendants, hopefully they may be the holder of Newby family information.
I have recently obtained the obituary for Ida Thurman Davis which was printed in the Chattanooga Times on December 16,1947. She had one daughter Mrs. Earl White and four grandchildren.Harry Hill, Norfolk,Va. DeForest Hill, Detroit,Mich. and Dianne Rowland and Ronnie White of Chattanooga. I found where Clara Davis married Granville Hill on 10/3/1923, in Hamilton County, Tennessee.  In the 1930 Census there is a Clarolie Hill, 22 listed as daughter of Minor and Ida Davis living with them and also a grandson, 6, Edward D. Hill living with them. I'm not sure if Clara married again to Earl White or if this was Nettie. 

Have you ever discovered that your family paths may have crossed? When I read Ida's obituary the first thing  I noticed was that she lived on North Orchard Knob Ave.,which is the same road that my Great Grandmother Lettie Edgemon Wilson lived on. I Googled the addresses and found they were just a few houses apart. Then she was a member of the Avondale Baptist Church which was where Lettie Edgemon Wilson was a member. Then Ida was buried in Greenwood Cemetery, which was where Lettie was buried.
I just had to ask my Mom if she remembered any of her Grandmother's neighbors. She did remember a few but did not know the Davis family. Maybe they moved in after Lettie died in1944. Ida would have been from my Dad's side  and Lettie was from my Mom's side.

2 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Harriet, How neat to get more family info... Isn't it fun????? Interesting that they lived on the same street at one time...

Ida died young, didn't she???? My grandmother Ida died young also.

Hugs,
Betsy

Harriet said...

Ida died young and her mother died young, I think she was only in her 30's and had 5 children.