Friday, March 5, 2010

Olivia Jane (Jennie) Long Newby - Fearless Females- Women's History Month

 Do you have a favorite female ancestor? One you are drawn to or want to learn more about? Write down some key facts you have already learned or what you would like to learn and outline your goals and potential sources you plan to check. This was the prompt for March 1, since I missed it and because I can't do the prompt for March 5, because I don't know how my grandparents or great grandparents met.

Olivia Jane (Jennie) Long Newby is a favorite female ancestor. I've always loved the name Olivia Jane. I wonder if she loved the name, since her marriage license has Jennie and even her tombstone has Jennie. Maybe it was the name her husband had for her. I would love to know the story of why she went by Jennie and not Olivia. I think that I only have one picture of Olivia. She died when she was only 44 years old. She had 7 children. In her obituary it said she died after a short illness. I would like to get her death certificate and find out the cause of death.

6 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Someone told me yesterday that you can get your blog published in book form. I haven't checked it out yet--but would love to have a copy of mine---for future generations. Hope you can get yours published also.

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Harriet said...

Yes I do hope to publish my blog someday.

Unknown said...

Where was your starting point for searching your geneology? I'm intersted in researching on my mom's side of the family.

Harriet said...

I would start with your Mother, ask her about her family,brothers, sisters,parents. Record the information Then you can go to several places - Family Search.com, Footnote.com with your grandparents names and look for Census records the last Census that has been release is the 1930.
You can pay to be a member at several places including Footnote, but I'm trying to get as much information as I can free so I haven't had to join anywhere yet.
Some Libraries offer Ancestry.com for free on the library computers. Our library offers an obituary database then you can order the obituary. Sometimes an obituary gives lots of information, parents names when they moved to the town.Good luck!

Harriet said...

Cindy,
Another good place to search would be http://usgenweb.org/ Go to your state on the left and that will take you to a list of the counties in that state. Some counties have better sites than others but sometimes they have cemetery listings,land records.

Unknown said...

Thank you!