Saturday, August 29, 2009

Georgia Archives

I have used the Georgia archives website in the past several times but went back this week for the first time in awhile. It pays to keep going back to sites and looking for new information. This week I found the Death Certificate for my Grandfather(Edgar Kelley), my Great Grandfather(Hiram Kelley). The marriage license for my Grandparents Edgar and Fay Kelley, Fay's brother King Newby and Lillie Blair and my Great Grandparents D.H. Newby and Jennie Long.
The best part for me was being able to find all of the information online and for free! At this time in my life I don't have a lot of time and money to travel around to courthouses and libraries gathering genealogy information so websites like this are a great resource for me.
If you have family from Georgia check out this site. Some of the new information takes a while to find but it is worth the time.
http://sos.georgia.gov/archives/

4 comments:

Greta Koehl said...

Thanks for the tip - I know some of my Alabama ancestors were in Georgia before they came to Alabama, so maybe I can find something on them at the website.

Harriet said...

Greta- I hope you have good luck!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Harriet, I don't think I have any relatives in GA---but is there such a site in VA I wonder????? Most of my relatives came from VA... I'll do some research.

Glad you found more info.
Hugs,
Betsy

Harriet said...

I'm not sure about Va. My Virginia relatives were there in the early 1800's. Haven't researched much there.