Tuesday, March 3, 2009

King?

I plan on doing a My Brickwall Ancestor like Miriam over at http://ancestories1.blogspot.com/

has done as soon as I get everything together on my Newby brickwall. There are others but this one will be the first I do, King H. Newby

I was looking at Census records for another family line the Wilson family. My grandmother was a Wilson. I found her family in the 1900, 1910, and 1920 Census records. One of her brothers was always called King. I assumed this to be his given name. On the 1900 Census I matched up all the names but there was no King however there was a James W. Wilson who would have been the right age to be King.

On the 1910 and 1920 Census he was King W. Wilson. Does anyone know if King was used as a given name or just a nickname. Maybe this is why we can not find King H. Newby we don't know his real given name.

Another interesting thing is the 1900 Census for the Wilson family at Family Search.com shows Lettie Wilson with her husband's name as James C.Wilson. The writing isn't very clear and if you didn't know his name was Samuel W. Wilson you could think it said James C. but this is just a reminder that the names on the index are not always correct so just keep looking. I'm not saying anything bad about the wonderful people putting the index together.

2 comments:

Greta Koehl said...

Don't know if this is any help, but I had a great-uncle named King David Floyd, and he was always called King, so I guess it's a "legit" first name.

Harriet said...

Thanks Greta! I'll just keep looking for King Newby but keep in mind it's possible to be under another name.