Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Memories of the Ziegler House




My first visit to the Ziegler house was sometime in the 1970's, I was a teen. I remember my Mom, Dad, brother and I were in one car and my Grandmother and Grandfather were in the car with my Uncle and Aunt. I'm not sure but it seems that my Grandfather's brother and his wife and my Grandfather's sister were in another car.

We drove for what seemed like forever and couldn't find the house. Then my Uncle stopped at a store and asked for directions. He then drove right to the house. The funny thing is that my Grandfather had been telling my Uncle where to turn and my Uncle didn't think he knew what he was talking about.

I'm sure the people living in the house wondered who all these people were in their driveway.
Someone, I don't remember who went up to the house and told them who we were, ancestors of Jacob and Annabella Ziegler who lived in the house in the 1800's. We got a tour of the house which was amazing. I remember that the house didn't seem as large from the inside. There were no closets in the bedrooms. That would stand out in the mind of a teenage girl! There was a building on the property which had been a store and post office. The people had taken boards from the inside of the post office and used them in restoring the house. I think they made kitchen cabinets and a large dining room table. They told us about finding a name, J. A. Ziegler, in the glass in one of the windows downstairs. My Grandfather and his brother and sister remembered that their Grandfather (Jacob) had put his name in the glass. Wonder if the glass is still there?

I don't have the Ziegler family Bible but someone recorded the information from the Bible and gave copies to all of the family. One note in the Bible said, “On August 29, 1879, Jacob August Ziegler and family moved to the Simpson Mill place, 2nd district, McMinn County.” This is something I need to check out, was this the house referred to as the Simpson Mill place. They lived in this house until they died. The house remained in the Ziegler family until 1946 when their daughter Maggie Ziegler Edgemon died.



The top picture is the old store/post office which was still standing in the 70's but is gone now.
The next picture is the window glass with J. A. Ziegler's name in the top left corner.

2 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

How interesting, Harriet... I hope you can get back to the house sometime ---and looks for that glass. Wonder where the old family Bible is now???? I hope you can get it sometime also. Keep on working on it.

Hugs,
Betsy

Harriet said...

I would love to go back to the house and see if the people who live there now would give us a tour. I think one of my mom's cousins has the Bible but I don't know which one. I am just glad to have the information which was recorded.