Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Thanksgiving Memories part 2 Thanksgiving with Great Grandma

Growing up many Thanksgiving days were spent with Great Grandma Ziegler, not sure how unusual it is to be able to spend Thanksgiving with a great grandparent. I would love to hear from others who spent holidays with great grandparents.
Grandma and Great Aunt Christan came to my grandparent's house for Thanksgiving. My Mom and Grandmother cooked the meal. There were other family members there some years but almost always Grandma and Christan were there. Grandma looked forward to coming to "Johnnie's  for Thanksgiving". She always called my grandfather, John Huff Ziegler, Johnnie. It was a celebration of Christan's birthday, Nov. 17,1906, and Grandma's birthday Nov. 30, 1873  , and Thanksgiving all in one. I can't remember for sure but I think they even came the Thanksgiving of 1971, before Grandma died in March 1972.
I don't think I have any pictures of those Thanksgiving celebrations sure wish I did.
My kids were born after all of their great grandparents died so they never knew them. Most of all I wish my grandmothers could have seen my children.
The best part of Thanksgiving was waking up smelling the turkey cooking. Now I'm the one getting up early to get the turkey cooked. Hope my kids enjoy waking up smelling the turkey like I did. Now I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Harriet, I enjoyed reading both of your Thanksgiving Memories posts.... Thanksgiving is always a special time for family to get together... I love the photo of your Aunt Betty and your sweet Mom.
Hugs,
Betsy

Harriet said...

Betsy, thanks for stopping by. It is fun to think back to the memories of past Thanksgivings and remember people and things that made those days special.