Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thanksgiving Memories - part 6 Special Thanksgiving Recipes!

Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu? I guess most of us have favorite dishes which we make for the holidays and rarely if ever make them when it isn't Thanksgiving or Christmas. The recipe I want to share today is one of my family favorites.
There of course has to be some history before we get to the recipe.  My husband was in the Army, while we were dating he was in Turkey. While there he had a friend named Dan, and during the holidays Dan's mother sent him a box of "GOODIES". All the guys got boxes from their families and they shared. I sent my husband (then boy friend) several boxes during the year he was there.
Dan's box contained some rolls, which my husband said were SO GOOD! Even though they were a bit old from the long mail trip! They were yeast rolls with pepperoni and cheese baked inside. After my husband and I married we had Dan over to eat. I asked him to get the recipe from his mom and he said there is nothing to it just put pepperoni and cheese in a yeast roll recipe and bake! So that was all I had to go on. We have enjoyed them for 25 years! They are best right out of the oven. I have looked in cook books and on the Internet and haven't found them. This is the recipe I use. The last two years my daughter has made the rolls, she has watched and helped for years but she decided she wanted to make them herself.
Pepperoni Rolls
3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening, softened
1tsp. salt
1pkg. regular or quick-acting dry yeast
1/2 cup very warm water (120 to 130 degrees)
1/2 cup very warm milk, scalded, then cooled to 120-130 degrees
 1 egg
sliced pepperoni
1 in.cubes cheddar cheese
Mix 2 cups of the flour, sugar, shortening, salt, and yeast in 2 1/2 qt. bowl. Add water, milk and egg. Beat on low speed, scrapping bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 1 min. Stir in enough flour to make dough easy to handle.
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic about 5 minutes. Place in greased 2 1/2 qt. bowl, turn greased side up. Cover and let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour.
Punch down dough. Divide into about 18 pieces. Place 3 slices pepperoni and 2 cubes of cheese in center of each piece of dough and pull dough up around pepperoni. Roll into ball making sure cheese and pepperoni are covered. Place seam side down in greased muffin pan. Cover and let rise until double, about 30 minutes. Heat oven to 400.
Bake until golden brown 12 to 18 minutes. I rub a little butter on top when done.
Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Those rolls reminded me of my mother's cheese rolls. She made the best yeast rolls in the world and put cheese chunks in them ... SO good!!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy