Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thanksgiving Memories - part 3 Thanksgiving in Tennessee '86-'88

Every Thanksgiving has been spent in Tennessee so what makes the years 1986, 1987, and 1988 special?
My husband was in the Army and we were living in Leominster, Mass. in 1986 and on base at Ft. Devens, Mass.  in 1987 and 1988. The only time we came home was for Thanksgiving, we were home for two weeks. Boy, was I homesick by the time November came!
It is nice to remember those years. My brother and his wife had the family over for Thanksgiving dinner in 1986. My nephew was a small child, he is now 26 years old. My cousin who was there is now a grandmother of two and two more grandchildren on the way. Sadly there are those who are no longer with us, my Dad, Aunt Mildred, Aunt Christan, Uncle Harry (who died Dec. 1986).

The drive down from Mass. was always an adventure. I think it was Nov. 1987 we came through New York City. Wow! I had to read the directions a friend had given my husband. We made it through without getting lost!!

November 1988 we decided we would drive both cars and leave my car in Tennessee. My husband was getting out of the Army in Feb. 1989 and we thought it would be one less thing to worry about when we left Ft. Devens in Feb. 1989. Especially since at that time we didn't know where we would end up living.
After many prayers and job searches  we ended up back home in Chattanooga!

On our drive down in '88 we stopped to get gas. I pulled out and started back on the Interstate and realized that my husband was no where in sight. This was before cell phones! I had to talk on the CB radio! which my husband had put in both cars special for this trip. I pulled over and waited for him ( he was at the gas station looking for me). We made it home safely.

1 comment:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Harriet, I'll bet those years when you lived in other places were very special to you ---getting to go home for Thanksgiving... I'm glad you ended up back in TN though.... It's a great place to live, isn't it????
Hugs,
Betsy