Monday, November 15, 2010

Thanksgiving Memories - part 5 Thanksgiving at Our House

I can't remember what year it was but we, my husband, kids and I, had Thanksgiving dinner at our house. Since my husband and I moved back home we have always had Thanksgiving at my parents house except for one year.  My brother and his family were going to his wife's family for Thanksgiving dinner. Mom's health had not been good and Dad didn't want mom to over do herself, which she would. So Dad said there was no need in me cooking a meal and bringing it over to their house. He said that he and mom would go out to eat. I told him that they should come to my house but he didn't want mom to have to cook anything and she would if they came over to my house.
Wow! flash back to the Thanksgiving of 1981! My parents eating out on Thanksgiving! When they could come to my house. Here we were just the four of us with our BIG Thanksgiving meal. I remember standing there saying this just isn't right. My husband said next year we are going to your Mom and Dad's house and I said I agree. The next day I told my Dad that it just wasn't the same without them on Thanksgiving and next year we are fixing the meal and bringing it over here. He said OK!

1 comment:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Harriet, Our parent's generation had some funny ideas, didn't they???? Your folks wouldn't come to your home to eat --unless she brought something... Sounds so familiar!!!!!!

BUT--the next year, you took all of the food to their house... We do that for George's parents now.. We get one of those Kroger's meals --and take it to Hendersonville --and have Thanksgiving Dinner there...

Thanks for a great post.
Hugs,
Betsy